USDA Provides Emergency Assistance to Producers of Honeybees, Livestock and Farm-Raised Fish for 2009 Losses | USDA Newsroom
USDA In Facebook USDA In Twitter Google+ USDA Blog USDA In Youtube USDA govdelivery USDA In Flickr USDA RSS
Stay Connected

This is an archive page. The links are no longer being updated.

News Release

Release No. 0375.10
Contact: Isabel M. Benemelis (202) 720-7809

 Printable version
Email this page Email this page


USDA Provides Emergency Assistance to Producers of Honeybees, Livestock and Farm-Raised Fish for 2009 Losses

WASHINGTON, July 15, 2010 - Agriculture Secretary Tom Vilsack announced that over $13 million in disaster assistance will be issued starting today to livestock, honeybee and farm-raised fish producers that suffered losses in 2009 because of disease, adverse weather or other conditions. The aid will come from the Emergency Assistance for Livestock, Honeybees and Farm-Raised Fish Program (ELAP).

"The Obama Administration is committed to helping producers who have suffered devastating losses due to natural disasters and this program will allow eligible producers that suffered losses in 2009 to receive emergency assistance payments that may be critical to their survival," said Vilsack.

More than $13 million in disaster assistance, including more than $7 million to compensate beekeepers for 2009 losses, will be issued. Under ELAP, producers will be compensated for losses that are not covered under other Supplemental Agricultural Disaster Assistance Payment programs established by the Food, Conservation, and Energy Act of 2008.

Other disaster assistance programs covered by the 2008 Farm Bill disaster assistance payment program are the Livestock Forage Disaster Program (LFP), Livestock Indemnity Program (LIP), and Supplemental Revenue Assistance Payments (SURE) Program. ELAP benefits related to 2010 losses are expected to be issued in early 2011. For additional background on ELAP, visit

For more information about USDA Farm Service Agency disaster assistance programs, visit a local FSA county office or


USDA is an equal opportunity provider, employer and lender. To file a complaint of discrimination, write: USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Ave., S.W., Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call (800) 795-3272 (voice), or (202) 720-6382 (TDD).