As part of the National Strategy for Pandemic Influenza, which includes both avian influenza and human pandemic preparedness, the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) works with its partners on the international and domestic fronts to help control the spread of highly pathogenic H5N1 avian influenza. Learn more about avian influenza and what you can do to protect poultry.
USDA Poultry Surveillance
- The National Poultry Improvement Plan
- Current Listing of Countries/Areas Affected With HPAI Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza
Scenarios and Q&A
Questions and Answers: Avian Influenza
Educating the media and the public about the complexities of avian influenza as a disease among birds is one of USDA's primary communications objectives.
As part of this effort, USDA, in partnership with the Department of Health and Human Services, Department of the Interior, and Department of Homeland Security, have developed three scenarios in the event of a detection and/or outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza in the United States.
The scenarios are:
- Scenario 1 - Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza Detection in the United States (PDF, 105KB)
- Scenario 2 - Highly Pathogenic H5N1 Avian Influenza Detection in Wild Birds (PDF, 94KB)
- Scenario 3 - Highly Pathogenic H5N1 Avian Influenza Detection in Commercial Poultry (PDF, 100KB)
Each of these scenarios contains a series of key questions and answers about animal health, guidance for the public, as well as a summary of the actions USDA would take in the event of a highly pathogenic avian influenza detection in the United States.
- Avian Influenza Diagnostics and Testing (PDF, 36KB)
- Avian Influenza Responding to Concerns About Influenza Type A Viruses (PDF, 33KB)
- AVIAN INFLUENZA: Low-Pathogenicity H5N1 vs. High-Pathogenicity H5N1 - July 23, 2007
- Avian Influenza: Protect Your Birds (PDF, 2.7MB)
- En Español: Proteja a su ave de la influenza aviar (PDF, 3.2MB)
- Avian Influenza Surveillance Plan (PDF, 365KB)
- Avian Influenza - USDA Efforts and Response (PDF, 4MB)
- En Español: Influenza Aviar Preparativos y Respuesta del USDA (PDF, 228KB)
- Avian Influenza-USDA Efforts and Response - Vietnamese (PDF, 271KB)
- Imports of Legal Birds and Bird Products (PDF, 346KB)
- Smuggling - Keep Bird Flu Out (PDF, 126KB)
- CBP Poster: Avian: Don't Smuggle Me... I Could be Sick (PDF, 490KB)
- Avian: Bird Flu What You Need To Know (PDF, 63KB)
Video and Audio