Grants, Loans & Support
Know Your Farmer, Know Your Food (KYF2) is helping communities scale up local and regional food systems and strengthen their economies. USDA has many financial resources available to support this work, but determining which is right for your community is no small task.
We want to simplify the process and help communities put USDA programs to work for them. This page lists over two dozen programs at USDA that can help build local and regional food systems. This list is not the entirety of USDA's offerings, but it is a great starting place.
Whether you are an individual farmer looking to extend your growing season, a cooperative of growers looking to rebuild a food hub, a farmers' market that wants to accept SNAP benefits, a school that needs cold storage to store locally procured meat, or anyone in between, this short guide to our programs will help you identify funding options to support you.
Each link will take you to a short, easy-to-understand description of the program, an explanation of how it can be used to support a local or regional food project, and a link to the USDA agency webpage where you can find more information about the application process.
For the latest updates and announcements regarding programs, make sure to check out our blog.
Agricultural Marketing Service
- Farmers Market and Local Food Promotion Program
- Federal-State Marketing Improvement Program
- Specialty Crop Block Grants
Farm Service Agency
Food and Nutrition Service
- Farm to School Grants Program
- Senior Farmers' Market Nutrition Program
- Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program
- WIC Farmers' Market Nutrition Program
- Special Supplemental Nutrition Program for Women, Infants and Children
National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- Agriculture and Food Research Initiative - Agricultural Economics and Rural Communities
- Beginning Farmer and Rancher Development Program
- Community Food Projects
- Food Insecurity Nutrition Incentives Program (FINI)
- Small Business Innovation Research
- Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education
Natural Resources Conservation Service
- Conservation Stewardship Program
- Conservation Technical Assistance
- Environmental Quality Incentives Program
- Farm and Ranch Land Protection Program
Risk Management Agency
- Business and Industry Guaranteed Loan Program
- Community Facilities
- Rural Business Development Grants
- Rural Cooperative Development Grants
- Value Added Producer Grants