USDA Results: Research (PDF, 38KB)
Learn more about USDA's work in Research in this fact sheet which documents some of our most significant accomplishments of the past three years. To read about more of our results, visit www.usda.gov/results.
In the News...
- USDA Science blog
- Recent breakthroughs by USDA scientists
- News from the National Institute of Food and Agriculture
- New analyses by USDA economists
- News from the National Agricultural Statistics Service
- New research and development from the Forest Service
- Noticias de la ciencia agrícola en español
- USDA's Science Action Plan (PDF, 486KB) (including the following topics):
- Food Supply and Security: Local to Global
- Bioenergy and Bio-based Products
- Responding to Climate Variability
- Water Availability: Quantity & Quality:
- Landscape-Scale Conservation and Management:
- Nutrition & Childhood Obesity
- Food Safety
- Education & Science Literacy:
- Rural Prosperity & Rural/Urban Interdependence
I want to...
- Find a book or journal article at the National Agricultural Library
- Search research, education & extension projects related to the sciences of food, agriculture, human nutrition and forestry in the Current Research Information System (CRIS) database.
- Search for science grants & funding
- Explore the Census of Agriculture or other statistical data
- Download economic datasets and publications
- Explore ongoing research projects and past accomplishments (ARS)
- Access plant, animal, microbial, or invertebrate genetic resources (germplasm)
- Connect with networks of experts on a range of topics through eXtension
- Download agricultural datasets and software models and tools
- Know more about Extension and the Land-Grant University System
- USDA's Research, Education, and Economics (REE) Mission Area:
- More Science across USDA:
- The Agricultural Marketing Service has science, data, and laboratories that support their programs, while their Marketing Channel Research and Development division does targeted research on marketing channels.
- The Animal & Plant Health Inspection Service:
- Provides laboratory information & services regarding the diagnosis, control, and eradication of animal diseases;
- Resolves problems caused by the interaction of wild animals and society through the work of the National Wildlife Research Center; and
- Strengthens APHIS's detection, exclusion, and management of pests with the Center for Plant Health Science and Technology.
- The Center for Nutrition Policy & Promotion's Nutrition Evidence Library conducts systematic reviews of food and nutrition-related scientific research to inform federal nutrition policies and programs
- The Farm Service Administration's Economic and Policy Analysis division analyzes markets, programs, and policies
- The Food and Nutrition Service conducts research and analysis and provides data & statistics on nutrition assistance programs.
- The Food Safety Inspection Service's work is supported by their science
- The Foreign Agricultural Service's Office of Global Affairs provides data on: export sales, global agricultural trade, production, supply, and distribution
- The Forest Service's Research & Development branch supports forest management
- The Grain, Inspection, Packers, and Stockyards Administration's work is supported by their Research and Methods division
- The Natural Resources Conservation Service provides Technical Resources and has National Technology Support Centers
- USDA's relationship with the Land-Grant Universities & a map (PDF) of their locations
- USDA's relationship with the Cooperative Extension System