The committee works in the interest of the public to ensure socially disadvantaged farmers have equal access to USDA programs. The committee advises the Secretary on: the implementation of section 2501 of the Food, Agriculture, Conservation and Trade Act of 1990 (7 U.S.C. 2279); methods of maximizing the participation of socially disadvantaged farmers or ranchers in USDA programs; and civil rights activities within USDA, as such activities relate to participants in USDA programs.
The Minority Farmers Advisory Committee host public meetings to deliberate on recommendations for USDA Secretarial consideration. These recommendations provide advice and recommendations to the Secretary on methods to maximize minority participation in USDA's programs and services.
Members of the committee are appointed for 1- to 2-year terms by the Secretary. The committee members are composed of socially disadvantaged farmers or ranchers, representatives from nonprofit organizations, civil rights professionals, and representatives from institutions of higher learning.
- 2015 (MFAC FINAL Signed Ltr on Litigation 10.7.15)
- 2015 (MFAC Letter to Vilsack SIGNED FINAL June 2016)
- 2015 (MFAC Recommendation on Full Funding for OAO & 2501)
- 2011 (Committee Recommendations) (PDF, 2.6 MB)
Past Committee Meetings
- October 2020 MFAC Committee Agenda & Meeting Minutes (PDF, 212 KB)
- July 2020 MFAC Committee Agenda & Meeting Minutes (PDF, 13.6 MB)
- May 2016 MFAC Committee Agenda & Meeting Materials
- September 2015 MFAC Agenda and Meeting Materials
Designated Federal Official
USDA Office of Partnerships and Public Engagement
1400 Independence Avenue, SW., Room 520-A
Washington, D.C. 20250-0170