Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers Program (The 2501 Program)
The 2501 Program was created through the 1990 Farm Bill to help socially disadvantaged farmers, ranchers, and foresters, who have historically experienced limited access to USDA programs and services. The 2014 Farm Bill expanded the program’s reach to veterans. Grants are awarded to higher education institutions and nonprofit and community-based organizations to extend USDA’s engagement efforts in these communities. Projects funded under the 2501 Program include, but are not limited to, conferences, workshops, and demonstrations on various farming techniques, and connecting underserved farmers and ranchers to USDA local officials to increase awareness of USDA’s programs and services while filling the needs for increased partnerships. Since 2010, the 2501 program has awarded 563 grants totaling more than $158 million.
2501 Fact Sheet 2022 (PDF, 427 KB)
Funding Opportunity Information
- The funding announcement for the 2501 Program opportunity is announced annually on the Federal Register and www.grants.gov.
- OPPE’s Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers Program (2501) Public Funding Opportunity Webinar held on May 4, 2022. Zoom Recording
- OPPE’s Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers Program (2501) Public Funding Opportunity Webinar held on March 30, 2022. Zoom Recording
- Information published on the 2501 Program can also be found on SAM.gov.
OPPE General Terms and Conditions (PDF, 1.1 MB) for Recipients of Grants and Co-operative Agreements
- FY 2021 Funded Projects
- FY 2020 Funded Projects
- FY 2019 Funded Projects (PDF, 325 KB)
- FY 2018 Funded Projects (PDF, 805 KB)
- FY 2017 Funded Projects (PDF, 172 KB)
- FY 2016 Funded Projects (PDF, 352 KB)
- FY 2015 Funded Projects (PDF, 365 KB)
- FY 2014 Funded Projects (PDF, 371 KB)
- FY 2010-2012 Funded Projects (PDF, 468 KB)
- Infographic: 2501 Program Statistics, FY 2014-2017 (PDF, 1.0 MB)
Training and Educational Resources
- Find your local USDA Service Center
- USDA New Farmers website
- USDA Veterans website
Socially Disadvantaged Policy Research Center
Alcorn State University administers the Socially Disadvantaged Policy Research Center with support from the 2501 Program. The Center makes policy recommendations to Congress to improve the success of socially disadvantaged and veteran farmers and ranchers through research, stakeholder engagement, and outreach.
USDA Office of Partnerships and Public Engagement