Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers Program (The 2501 Program)
The USDA’s Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged Farmers and Ranchers and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers Program (2501 Program), is managed by USDA’s Office of Partnerships and Public Engagement (OPPE). The 1990 Farm Bill established the program to provide outreach and technical assistance for underserved farmers, ranchers, and foresters, in owning and operating sustainable farms and ranches while increasing their participation in USDA programs and services. The 2014 Farm Bill expanded the program’s reach to veterans. The 2018 Farm Bill boosts mandatory funding for the program through FY 2023.
Since 1994, the 2501 Program has awarded 451 grants totaling more than $103 million. This funding has helped reach socially disadvantaged agricultural producers – farmers and ranchers who have experienced barriers to service due to racial or ethnic prejudice.
Grants are awarded to higher education institutions and nonprofit and community-based organizations to extend USDA’s engagement efforts in these communities. Projects funded under the 2501 Program include -- but are not limited to -- conferences, workshops, and demonstrations on various farming techniques. These efforts connect communities with USDA officials, increase awareness of USDA’s programs and services, and develop new partnerships and relationships.
2501 Fact Sheet 2020 (PDF)
Current Funding Opportunities
- July 2020 – Press release on FY 2020 Funding Opportunity
- July 2020 – Outreach and Assistance for Socially Disadvantaged and Veteran Farmers and Ranchers (PDF)
- July 2020 – Centers for Community Prosperity (Assist Persistent Poverty Farmers, Ranchers, Agriculture Producers) (PDF)
- July 2020 – Federal Register Notice, Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA) for FY 2020
- Information published on the 2501 Program is located in the Catalog of Federal Domestic Assistance (CFDA) under CFDA: 10.443.
- FY 2019 Funded Projects (PDF, 325 KB)
- FY 2018 Funded Projects (PDF, 805 KB)
- FY 2017 Funded Projects (PDF, 172 KB)
- FY 2016 Funded Projects (PDF, 352 KB)
- FY 2015 Funded Projects (PDF, 365 KB)
- FY 2014 Funded Projects (PDF, 371 KB)
- FY 2010-2012 Funded Projects (PDF, 468 KB)
- Infographic: 2501 Program Statistics, FY 2014-2017 (PDF, 1.0 MB)
Training and Educational Resources
July 28, 2020 - Grant applicant Q&A teleconference recording:
Call-In Numbers (866) 207-1041 or (402) 970-0847, Access Code: 9970820
July 19, 2020 - Centers for Community Prosperity Grant (Persistent Poverty Farmers, Ranchers, Agriculture Producers and Communities)
July 14, 2020 - Grant applicant Q&A teleconference recording:
Call-In Numbers (866) 207-1041 or (402)970-0847, Access Code: 5130358
August 6, 2019 Grant applicant Q&A teleconference recording:
Call-In Number (800) 475-6701, Access Code: 469846
- Find your local USDA Service Center
- USDA New Farmers website
- USDA Veterans website
Socially Disadvantaged Policy Research Center
Alcorn State University administers the Socially Disadvantaged Policy Research Center with support from the 2501 Program. The Center makes policy recommendations to Congress to improve the success of socially disadvantaged and veteran farmers and ranchers through research, stakeholder engagement, and outreach.
2501 Program Director