Office of Tribal Relations
Secretary Vilsack is committed to a Department of Agriculture (USDA) that serves Tribal governments and individual American Indians and Alaska Natives. The Office of Tribal Relations (OTR) serves as a single point of contact for Tribal issues and works to ensure that relevant programs and policies are efficient, easy to understand, accessible, and developed in consultation with the American Indians and Alaskan Native constituents they impact.
OTR continues to refine the consultation process to ensure strong partnerships that will preserve Tribal sovereignty and is responsible for:
- Government-to-government relations between USDA and tribal governments;
- Advising Secretary Vilsack on Tribal issues and concerns;
- Tribal Consultation;
- Alaska Native Claims Settlement Act (ANCSA);
- Issues impacting Tribal members; and
- Working cooperatively and collaboratively across USDA to build a an integrated approach to issues, programs, and services addressing the needs of American Indians and Alaskan Natives.
- The Council on Native American Farming and Ranching