Mission Area Liaison Division Director
The Office of the Assistant Secretary, through the Center for Civil Rights Operations, Mission Area Liaison Division (MAL) promotes proactive prevention, complaint reduction, innovation, excellence, and best practices in the administration of civil rights programs involving diversity and compliance. MAL serve as a catalyst and conduit in the establishment of partnerships with our Mission Areas/Agencies and Staff Offices throughout the department and with our external stakeholders for the advancement of equal opportunity and equitable treatment for all while cultivating a culture of inclusion where diverse talent is leveraged to advance innovation.
Mission Area Liaison Division Director
Tysan Williams serves as the Director for MAL within OASCR.
What We Do
- Provide oversight and administration of proactive prevention programs stemming from statutory and regulatory requirements including but not limited to: Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, as amended, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, The Age Discrimination Act of 1975, as amended, The Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1975, as amended, Section 508 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, as amended, The Pregnancy Discrimination Act of 1978, The Equal Pay Act of 1963, Sections 102 and 103 of the Civil Rights Act of 1991, Sections 501 and 505 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and The Genetic Information Nondiscrimination Act of 2008.
- Serve as the focal point for proactive prevention programs and activities Department-wide and in CCRO/OASCR. Assure Mission Area/Agency Civil Rights offices are conducting effective proactive prevention programs and activities consistent with statutory and regulatory requirements set forth in the law and Departmental policy.
- Prepare Department-level annual mandatory reports stemming from statutory and regulatory requirements set forth by the Congress, the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights and other regulatory bodies. Assure Mission Area/Agency Civil Rights offices comply with the requirements, as well.
- Establish the annual mandatory civil rights training focus for the Department in conjunction with the Civil Rights Training Committee and assure Mission Area/Agency Civil Rights offices are conducting training consistent with Departmental policy and guidance. Assure Mission Area/Agency Civil Rights offices performance ascends toward full compliance each fiscal year.
- Conduct mandatory Special Emphasis Programs consistent with the requirements set forth in EEOC regulations at 29 C.F.R. § 1614.102(b)(4). Special Emphasis Program Managers include managers of the Program for Employees with Disabilities, the Federal Women's Program, the Hispanic Employment Program and such other programs as may be required by the Office of Personnel Management or the Department. Assure Mission Area/Agency Civil Rights offices comply with the requirements, as well.
- Provide leadership and direction to administer the Department’s Limited English Proficiency Program. Provide oversight and guidance to Mission Area/Agency Civil Rights offices to assure effective Language Access policies, plans and procedures and evaluate program effectiveness.
- Administer an effective Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) program to promote early resolution of prospective discrimination complaints (EEO and Programs EO) and reduce the number of equal opportunity matters ascending to OASCR for formal processing. Provide oversight and guidance to Mission Area/Agency Civil Rights offices to assure proactive early resolution at all levels of the process.
- Provide oversight and guidance to Mission Area/Agency Civil Rights offices to assure effective informal EEO services, including informal counseling and ADR.
To inquire about any of the programs we administer, please contact us @:
United States Department of Agriculture
Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights
Center for Civil Rights Operations
1400 Independence Avenue, SW
Washington, DC 20250
ATTN: Mission Area Liaison Division
“This nation was founded by men of many nations and backgrounds. It was founded on the principle that all men are created equal, and that the rights of every man are diminished when the rights of one man is threatened.”…excerpt from the “Civil Rights Address” (resulted in the passage of the Civil Rights Act of 1964… delivered by – President John F. Kennedy
“Our ability to reach unity in diversity will be the beauty and the test of our civilization.”- Mahatma Gandhi