Empower, enable, and engage USDA customers and employees in a human-centered approach to innovation in order to deliver consistent exceptional service to customers.
What We Do
Customer experience (CX) in the Federal Government is more important than ever as expectations have drastically changed and raised the bar for customer service standards.
With that in mind, the Office of Customer Experience (OCX) works to address complex challenges across programs and services that may impact the experiences of our customers and employees. Through various forms of research methodologies and insights, OCX creates actionable solutions that improve the USDA customer experience by identifying and meeting the core human needs at the heart of every interaction.
The need for improved customer experience in government is both mandated by policy as well as the need to provide customers with efficient and effective services. A good customer experience will increase trust in government, likelihood to use products and services, and improve services at decreased costs.
OCX Services: Key Initiatives
OCX is proud to offer the following services, which encompass what it will take to move USDA toward more customer-focused operations and create an environment where critical decision making by leadership is driven by insights of our customers and employees.
- AskUSDA Contact Center: The AskUSDA Contact Center is an initiative working to ensure there’s no wrong door for customers to get answers and information from USDA. Customers will be able to access a Contact Center representative via various channels and feedback from those interactions will be leveraged for further enhancements.
- Strategy and Design Services: This initiative partners up with Mission Areas on different projects with the goal of gaining valuable customer insights. Projects focus on interviewing customers about their experiences with USDA and using their insights and feedback to shape the design of new products and services.
- Customer Measurement and Improvement: Leveraging digital surveys that collect real-time actionable feedback from our customers, we are focused on instituting and tracking experiences across the Department that will empower USDA leaders to make data-driven decisions.
News and Updates
Recent initiatives and projects led by the Office of Customer Experience.
These recently released policies enacted across the Federal government fundamentally support the need for developing an organized approach to improving CX at USDA.
- Executive Order on Transforming Federal Customer Experience and Service Delivery to Rebuild Trust in Government (2021)
- President's Management Agenda (PMA) (2021)
- OMB Circular A-11 Section 280 (2022)
- 21st Century IDEA (2018)
- Federal Agency Customer Experience Act (2017)
- USDA Direct Farm Loans Journey
- The OneUSDA Ecosystem
- What Is a Customer Journey Map?
- How Do You Read a Journey Map?
- How Do You Use a Journey Map?
Resources and Tools
- USDA Digital Strategy Playbook
- 13 Plays of Our Customer Experience Approach
- Checklist of Requirements for Federal Websites and Digital Services
- U.S. Web Design System
- 18F Human-Centered Design Methods
- Usability.gov User Research Basics
Office of Customer Experience (OCX)
1400 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Washington, DC 20250