Note: This is general information on roles and responsibilities. Each Mission Area/Agency has their own processes and procedures for requesting a either a Reasonable Accommodation or Personal Assistance Services. Please contact the specific USDA Mission Area/Agency or visit their website for details.
- For assistance with the application process, contact the Human Resources Specialist listed on the vacancy announcement as quickly as possible.
- For assistance with participating in the interview process, notify the person arranging or conducting the interview.
- For other RA requests, contact the agency’s Reasonable Accommodation Coordinator or point of contact for processing.
- Request Reasonable Accommodation (RA) or Personal Assistance Services (PAS) orally or in writing (can also be done by someone else on behalf of the employee).
- Upon request by the Reasonable Accommodations Coordinator, provide medical documentation. Medical information must be sufficient to explain:
- The nature of the individual’s disability;
- The need for RA and PAS; and
- How the requested RA will assist the individual with applying for a position, performing the essential functions of a position, or enjoying the benefits and privileges of employment.
- Engage in the interactive process.
- Talk to supervisor about limitations and needs.
- Work with supervisor to identify possible accommodations.
- Respond to the employee’s RA or PAS request in a timely manner.
- If medical documentation is needed, refer the employee or applicant to the Reasonable Accommodation Coordinator. Do not request or accept medical documentation.
- Identify essential functions of the employee’s position.
- Work with the employee and the Reasonable Accommodation Coordinator throughout the process.
- Actively participate in the interactive process to assist with finding an RA for the qualified applicant or employee;
- Discuss with the employee his/her limitations and needs.
- Implement an effective RA or PAS for eligible employees, when applicable.
- Provide justification for accommodation denials.
- Be flexible
- Abide by confidentiality requirements.
Reasonable Accommodation Coordinator’s Responsibilities
- Respond to the employee’s or applicant’s RA or PAS request in a timely manner.
- Provide and receive required documentation for the requested RA or PAS.
- Request medical information, if needed.
- Determine if employee or applicant is eligible for an accommodation.
- Assist supervisor and employee with the interactive process, if needed.
- Assist supervisor and employee with identification of possible effective accommodations, if needed.
- Maintain RA documentation and medical information in a secure manner.