Skip to main content

Organic Research, Education, and Extension Programs

USDA funds extension efforts with land-grant universities across the country. Additionally, USDA funds several research efforts that support the continued growth of organic agriculture and that address critical issues within the industry.

Research Grants for Organizations

USDA's National Institute of Food and Agriculture offers two research grant programs dedicated to organic agriculture:

The Sustainable Agriculture Research and Education Program (SARE) provides a variety of competitive grants for research, education, and outreach activities that support sustainable agricultural systems. The program encourages site-specific experimentation, and many grants have focused on organic production or marketing.

Risk management education and outreach partnerships from USDA's Risk Management Agency ensure that producers get the information they need to effectively manage their risk through difficult periods and remain productive.

Conservation Innovation Grants (CIG) from the USDA Natural Resources Conservation Service are competitive grants that stimulate innovative approaches and technologies for conservation on agricultural lands.

USDA Research on Organic

The Agricultural Research Service is USDA's principal in-house scientific research agency, responsible for developing solutions to a wide range of agricultural problems that affect Americans every day, from field to table. Currently, the Agricultural System Competitiveness and Sustainability National Program (NP-216) coordinates ARS's organic agriculture portfolio, which is summarized in their 2013-2017 action plan. Since research applicable to organic agriculture cuts across many national programs, over the years existing research projects have taken on organic objectives as a part of their existing portfolios. Highlights of ARS' organic research include:

Educational Resources

USDA provides additional resources on organic certification and farming practices through organic training and transition assistance.