Evaluation Criteria Datasets
These datasets are referenced in the scoring of applications requesting 100% grant or 50% loan/50% grant combination funds. The evaluation criteria datasets defined below will remain unchanged for the duration of the Fiscal Year 2020 application window.
- Essential Community Facilities (CSV, 18.3 MB): This dataset is comprised of Homeland Infrastructure Foundation-Level Data (HIFLD) as updated October 2018 and the USGS National Structures Dataset (NSD) as of August 2018. The HIFLD data include fire stations, local law enforcement, prisons, and state emergency operations centers. USGS NSD data include city and town halls and post offices. Datasets from both sources were merged into a single spatial dataset for ReConnect program use.
- Educational Facilities (CSV, 75.3 MB): This dataset is comprised of Homeland Infrastructure Foundation-Level Data (HIFLD) and the Institute of Museum and Library Services as of October 2018. Included are any public or private educational institutions that offer college, professional, preparatory, high school, middle school, junior high school, elementary, or kindergarten instruction, or any combination thereof. Daycare centers, museums, and libraries are also included. Datasets from both sources were merged into a single spatial dataset for ReConnect program use.
- Healthcare Facilities (CSV, 13.9 MB): This dataset came from Homeland Infrastructure Foundation-Level Data (HIFLD) as updated October 2018. Included are hospitals, nursing homes, pharmacies, urgent care facilities, and veteran’s health administration medical facilities. The HIFLD datasets were merged into a single spatial dataset for ReConnect program use.
- Number of Farms by County (ZIP, 65.1 MB): This dataset came from the 2017 Census of Agriculture, United States Summary and State Data Report as of April 2019. Additional information on agricultural activity for the United States is available on USDA’s National Agriculture Statistics Service 2017 Publications webpage.
- Opportunity Zones (ZIP, 44.5 MB): This shapefile contains all population census tracts designated as Qualified Opportunity Zones as of December 14, 2018. Additional information about QOZs can be found on the U.S. Department of Treasury, CDFI Fund, Opportunity Zones Resources webpage.
- Rurality – 100 Miles from Urbanized Areas (ZIP, 568 KB): This shapefile contains a multipart feature of all 2010 Census urbanized areas surrounded by a 100-mile buffer. Urbanized areas are areas of 50,000 or more people. Additional information about the Census Bureau’s urban-rural classification is available on the US Census website: www.census.gov/programs-surveys/geography/guidance/geo-areas/urban-rural/2010-urban-rural.html.
Service Area Eligibility Criteria Datasets
These datasets outline geographic areas where the service area eligibility may be limited for some or all applicants. See below for more information.
- CAF II - Auction 903 Winners – The Connect America Fund Phase II Auction 903 Winners layer comes from the spatial data and web map service available on the FCC website: www.fcc.gov/reports-research/maps/caf-ii-auction-results-april-2019. This is not a USDA-hosted web map service; therefore, the data may change without notice. This dataset was last updated on April 3, 2019 to account for the removal of several winning bidders that notified the FCC that they no longer intend to pursue some or all of their winning bids. To learn more, you can access the Auction 903 Public Notice.
- Non-Rural Areas – This dataset contains a subset of the Census Places data and a subset of the Urbanized Area/Urban Cluster Census data. Both subsets were filtered to include: (1) a city, town, or incorporated area that has a population of greater than 20,000 inhabitants; or (2) an urbanized area contiguous and adjacent to a city or town that has a population of greater than 50,000 inhabitants. The resulting two subsets were merged to create the non-rural areas layer.
- Pending Applications (ZIP, 519 KB) – This dataset includes all Farm Bill Broadband and Telecommunications Infrastructure loan applications that have been submitted to the Rural Utilities Service (RUS) for consideration. The layer will be updated when the status of an application changes. The dataset will be updated periodically. The current dataset is dated January 25, 2020. A new dataset will be available for download prior to the opening of the application window.
- Protected Broadband Borrower Service Areas (ZIP, 9.4 MB) – This layer includes the service areas of entities that received a Telecommunications Infrastructure loan, Farm Bill Broadband loan (Farm Bill), or Broadband Initiatives Program (BIP) loan in or after Fiscal Year (FY) 2000. Service areas of projects that were approved but were subsequently de-obligated are not protected and have been omitted from this layer. The current dataset is dated January 25, 2020. A new dataset will be available for download prior to the opening of the application window.
Please note: RUS began requiring the submission of geospatial data that captured borrower service areas starting as early as FY 2009 for certain loan and grant programs. However, this mapping layer may not include all borrower service areas that are eligible to receive protection under the ReConnect Program Funding Opportunity Announcement (FOA). RUS will conduct a final evaluation of service area eligibility during application review.
Additional Reference Layer Datasets
- Tribal Lands – This dataset came from Calendar Year 2017 U.S. Census data. The zipped shapefile includes cartographic boundary spatial data for American Indian, Alaska Native Areas, and Hawaiian Home Lands.